A quick recap on some important information
How to work with a Sign Language Interpreter
- Deaf people, whose first language is British Sign Language (BSL), use interpreters
- The job of the interpreter is to voice-over what the Deaf person signs, or to translate English into BSL.
- Look at and speak directly to the Deaf person, not the interpreter. (Do not ask the interpreter their opinion/advice).
- An interpreter can only interpret one person at a time.
- Please raise your hand if you wish to say something.
- Remember there is a time delay when information is translated.
- An interpreter will interpret all sounds (including all audible asides).